Wednesday 19 May 2010

Wednesday - Best walk of the week - 9.5 miles

Today's plan was an early start - Geoff would drive us and drop us off in Newquay - and hopefully we would walk back along the coastal path to Llangrannog, where as many of us as possible would meet up for a late lunch. It was another beautiful sunny day, and I was joined by Jan and Sammi from California and Peter, my London cousin's husband. Geoff is hobbling around with a swollen knee, and is now only good for chauffeur and ice-cream buying duties.

We left Newquay, climbing the hill up above the fish factory - fast - to get away from the fishy odour much beloved by the thousands of seagulls who were milling around there hopefully - further along the coast out in the bay we spotted four dolphins, dutifully ticked off in my Chief I-Spy book of things Christine needs to see on her holidays - which just leaves me missing the hardest thing to spot this week - fresh crab sandwiches.

Dropping down to Cwmtydu cove about 4 miles into the walk I saw our car in the car park - Geoff had been sculpting in the car while he waited to see us pass by. I don't really know of anyone else who takes 2 rolls of chicken wire and wire snips on holiday with them.

The cliff top scenery was superb on this stretch

and the path had been specially constructed  impressively  half way down the cliffs.

Llangrannog and lunch were just around the next headland

On Llangrannog beach cousin Cathy was waving - it's quite hard to spot her amongst the holidaymakers - and if I hadn't had to change out of my walking boots into my comfier trainers eight miles into the walk we would have made it in time for lunch at 1-30.

As it was we were 5 minutes late and they'd started on the fish and chips without us - family - huh!

No comments: