Saturday 13 February 2010

Throwing to keep warm

Thrashing our way through all the waiting emails and phone messages wasn't enough to keep us warm on our return - I'm  really missing  the Tenerife sunshine. By Tuesday I was ready to take on the workshop again and ventured out there only to be confronted by some strange pots that after three weeks absence I've no idea why I made - always a danger when you're ideas led rather than making stock items. I biscuit-fired them anyway on Wednesday along with some more porcelain teabowls, as my memory may kick back in in the future and their part in my masterplan will be revealed. I had a good play trying to recreate the volcanic rocks and textures of the Canaries by loosely wedging black clay, porcelain, terracotta, vermiculite, glass and 2 different paperclays together - I won't progress this any further till I have seen whether it survives a firing.

Some of this week's production. I only have about 3 weeks actual making time now to get new work out for the NPA exhibition at Rufford, an open studio at home at Easter and the Scottish Potfest - so time in the workshop is a priority. Matt's due home for a few days this week from France, so the other
priority is getting the fliers and posters resolved for the shows. Another priority is to get planning my April walk around the coastline of the Isle of Man - perhaps I need some time management skills to prioritise my priorities - maybe I'll just open a bottle of red .....

No comments: