Monday 1 March 2010

Snow, fliers, Manchester and a present from Potfest


















Sunday : After the wonderful weather on Saturday the return of the snow came as an unpleasant reality check. I had been envisaging an early spring return into the vegetable garden but three inches of snow has put the seed planting on hold. We spent a good deal of time on Sunday scuttling around the house rounding up pots for tomorrow's photo-shoot at Upfront gallery. We plan to hijack unsuspecting cafe customers and photograph them holding pots, for the front cover of this years fliers. We've heard this is how David Bailey works.


















Monday : Met our photographer and graphic designer Malcolm Farrar at Upfront and shooting began. Staff, family and unwitting customers were all roped in and Malcolm soon had some really good images. By soup time it was all done and dusted.

The rest of the working week was very uneventful - just more throwing, glazing and firing - see images -- then as a treat Lucie and I had the weekend with family over in Manchester  - big city life - shops, restaurants - people rather than sheep to talk to - enough to turn a girl's head - but there was a kiln at home to unload and Lucie has to teach for a living so we returned on Sunday to our rural retreat.

















Potfest  treated me to a new camera and I'm dying to try it out but I know that once I get it out of the box and start to wade through the manual everything else will be on hold so I'm not giving in to that till I've sorted out the pots for Rufford. This last image shows a large porcelain pot 14" diameter that I thought was a definite goer  - till I went to lift it out of the kiln only to discover that the glaze had gone right through the bottom of the pot and it now has its own attached plinth. Time to get the camera out of the box I think.



Photographed masterfully thus disguising its deformity.

No comments: